Ideation is designed around the singular principle of soliciting and gathering ideas and feedback from your Higher Logic Vanilla (Vanilla) users, all from a centralized location: the unique Idea Category.
- Users can submit their ideas in Idea Categories your organization has defined
- Admins can keep users in the loop about their submissions via default and/or custom status labels
- Users can vote and comment on submissions to help crowd-source the best ideas
- User groups that solicit product feature ideas - Ideation gives these organizations a central place to gather and nurture feedback to better align their product road map with user-requested ideas and features.
Enable the Ideation addon
📝 NOTE: The Ideation addon is only available at the Essential and higher tier plans.
To enable Ideation:
- Access the Dashboard.
- Navigate to Settings > Addons > Addons.
- Click to slide the Ideation toggle to the right.
📝 NOTE: If the Ideation addon isn't available, contact your CSM or Vanilla Support to enable it.
Create an Idea Category
If Ideation is enabled in your Vanilla community, admins can create idea-based Categories via a new Category option: Idea Category (see image below).
To create an Idea Category:
1. Access the Dashboard.
2. Navigate to Settings > Discussions > Categories.
3. Click the Add Category button.
4. Check the Idea Category box.
5. Optionally, if you'd like users to be able to downvote ideas, check the Use Down Votes box (by default, users can only upvote ideas).
6. Configure the other Category options as desired (make sure to set the Display As option to Discussions so that users can post ideas in this Category.
7. When finished, click Save to create the Idea Category.
- Existing non-ideation Categories cannot be changed to Idea Categories.
- Once a Category is created as an Idea Category, it cannot be changed to a regular category
- By default, all ideas can be upvoted. When a user clicks to upvote an idea, +1 is added to its Ideation score.
A status can be assigned to each idea to inform users what state the idea is in, and whether the idea is open to voting or not.
By default, Ideation includes the following default statuses:
- Already Offered
- In Progress
- In Review
You're free to rename and repurpose these default statuses, and even create your own, to meet your Vanilla community's needs.
Access idea statuses
1. Access the Dashboard.
2. Navigate to Settings > Discussions > Idea Statuses.
On this page, you can:
- edit and delete existing statuses
- create additional statuses
📝 NOTE: You must have the
Garden > Settings > Manage permission to manage statuses.
Create a status
1. Click Add Status.
2. In the dialog, give the status a name that properly indicates its purpose.
3. Select Open or Closed to set whether ideas in this status can be voted on.
4. Optionally check the Default Status box to make this the default status for all new ideas.
5. Click Save to create the status.
Edit and delete statuses
- Click the pencil icon to edit a status. You can update its name, open or close voting on ideas belonging to the status, and set a status as the default when creating ideas.
- Click the trashcan icon to delete a status, followed by Okay in the confirmation popup.
📝 NOTE: You cannot delete the status set as the default (notice the missing trashcan icon for the Active status below).
📝 NOTE: By default, Active is the default status for new ideas (you're free to choose any status as the default). Make sure a default is always selected, as not doing so may result in unexpected behavior.
Change an idea’s status
📝 NOTE: You need the
Garden.Moderation.Manage permission in order to change an idea's status.
1. Navigate to an idea page.
2. Click the (...) menu and select Edit Idea Status.
3. In the resulting dialog, select a new status from the menu, and optionally provide an explanation for the change (e.g., if changing from In Progress to Complete, let users know when they can expect the new feature to be available).
📝 NOTE: Changing an idea’s status will trigger notifications to the idea author and any idea voters, if these notifications are enabled for their accounts.
Sort & filter ideas
When viewing an Idea Category, you can sort and filter the listed ideas to make it easier to find what you're looking for.
✔️ TIP: You can use both a Sort and Filter option to refine the list even further.
Choose a Sort option to list its associated ideas at the top of the list.
- Hot - Ideas with the most comments and the most points
- Top - Ideas with the most upvotes
- New - Latest ideas posted
Choose a Filter option to refine the list by a specific status or to only ideas with voting open/closed.
Ideation + gamification
- Users submitting ideas will receive +1 point for each upvote their idea receives.
- Ideation uses upvotes, which are associated with the "Up Votes" set of Badges. Users can also upvote Reactions, though, so if you'd like these badges to only be earned by users who upvote ideas, we recommend turning OFF upvotes for Reactions.
Click the link below to access a video expanding on what you learned in this article.