The Productboard integration allows you to sync community ideas (and their votes and comments) into Productboard as notes for your Product teams.
📝 NOTE: The Productboard integration was made available with Release 2022.005.
What is Productboard?
Productboard is a popular product-management tool. It helps product managers collect ideas and feedback about their products so that they can:
- understand what customers need and want,
- prioritize what to build next, and
- rally support for the product roadmap.
Learn more about Productboard!
Vanilla Ideation & the Productboard Integration
If you're using the Ideation addon in your Higher Logic Vanilla (Vanilla) community, your members can:
- submit product ideas and feedback,
- vote on ideas, and
- comment on ideas (to provide insights and ask questions).
📝 NOTE: In order to take advantage of this integration's functionality, the Ideation addon has to be enabled and configured (as described in this article).
With the Productboard integration, your Vanilla Ideation addon is enhanced because you can connect your community to your team's Productboard instance and then sync Vanilla Ideation activities into your Productboard Insights dashboard as notes.
Your Product team can then:
- review and triage the notes,
- use them to calculate user-impact scores for roadmap features, and
- write user stories using real-world cases.
Set Up the Integration
To use the Productboard integration, you have to complete a few set-up steps.
- Productboard: generate and copy an API access token
- Vanilla: enable the Productboard addon and apply the API access token
Productboard - Get an API access token
You can generate an API access token in the Public API section of the Integrations dashboard.
- Click the plus icon (+) to the right of Access token and copy the access token to your clipboard.
Vanilla - Set up the Productboard addon
📝 NOTE: You must be an Administrator with permissions to manage settings.
To enable the addon:
1. Access the Dashboard.
2. Navigate to Settings > Addons > Addons.
3. On the Vanilla Addons page, scroll down to the Productboard addon and slide the toggle to the right to enable the addon.
4. Click the settings icon (to the left of the toggle slider) to access Productboard Settings.
5. Paste the API access token from your clipboard into the API Token field.
6. Click Save.
You can navigate away from the Addons page.
Ideation-based Notes in Productboard
When the integration has been configured, it will immediately start syncing Vanilla Ideation activities into your Productboard Insights dashboard as notes. The Ideation activities that trigger notes are:
- New ideas added in your community
- New comments added to those ideas
- Votes on those ideas
- Edits made to previously submitted ideas and comments
The new notes in Productboard include the following information:
- The title of and a link to the idea or comment that was added or voted on
- The body of the idea or comment
- The name of and a link to the category the idea or comment was posted in
- The username and profile link of the user who submitted the idea, added a comment, or voted on the idea
📝 NOTE: Users’ email addresses are also included in notes so that the notes can be associated to users and companies created in Productboard.