You can integrate your Higher Logic Vanilla (Vanilla) community with GitHub so that you can easily create an Issue in GitHub directly from a Vanilla community comment or discussion.
What is GitHub?
GitHub is a code repository that developers use to store source code. Developers can contribute code to a common source code and changes are tracked using distributed version control.
FIRST: Enable the GitHub addon in your Vanilla community.
1. Access the Dashboard.
2. Navigate to Settings > Addons > Addons.
3. On the Vanilla Addons page, locate the GitHub addon and slide the toggle to the right (ON) to enable it.
4. Click the settings icon, specify the ClientID, Secret, Repositories, and Global Login, and then click Save.
SECOND: Follow the steps in the GitHub and Vanilla Forums Integration Guide.
How to create an Issue
Authorized (Staff) users can:
- Click the gear (or …) icon in discussions and comments.
- Select GitHub - Create Issue.
📝 NOTE: The Name and Email fields will be populated; other required fields must be completed.
The Issue is created in GitHub and:
- an information panel displays (to Staff only) under the discussion or comment
- the Issue displays in GitHub
📝 NOTE: The integration works best when using the markdown editor. Also, our GitHub integration uses oAuth, so your GitHub passwords are never stored in Vanilla.
If you already have a GitHub account, you must enable API Access in order for this integration to work.
Create a new application in GitHub and set the callback URL by appending /profile/githubconnect to your forum’s URL. For example:
- If a forum URL is example.com/forum, the callback URL is http://example.com/forum/profile/githubconnect.
After your new application is set up, open:
A) the GitHub addon settings dialog (step 4 of Set Up Steps, above) and
B) your GitHub plugin settings page.
- Copy the values of ClientID, Secret, and Repositories from A and paste them where appropriate on B.