The discussions in your Higher Logic Vanilla (Vanilla) community are automatically arranged by most recent posts (either discussion creation date or most recent comment post date). This means that every time an existing discussion receives a new comment, it will again move to the top of the list; sometimes, however, a discussion may not receive comments and become buried, making it hard for users to find.
⭐️ EXAMPLE: You notice a valuable discussion isn't gaining traction, causing it to fall off the first page of discussions as others get more attention. You can use the Bump feature to move this discussion back to the top of the list, essentially giving it a "second chance" in the spotlight.
While this may sound similar to an announcement, it actually works quite differently.
- Announcements are generally used to pin certain staff posts to the top of the discussions lists (where they'll stay until "unpinned").
- Bumping a post, on the other hand, gives it a temporary boost but it can still fall back down the list.
Enable the Bump addon
The ability to Bump discussions is not available by default; it is an addon you must enable.
To do so:
- Access the Dashboard.
- Navigate to Settings > Addons > Addons.
- Locate the Bump addon and click its toggle to turn it ON (it will be blue).
Admins and Moderators must have the
Garden > Curation > Manage permission enabled for their Role in order to use the Bump feature.
✔️ TIP: Vanilla recommends that this permission be limited to Admins and Moderators.
Bump a discussion
- Navigate to the discussion that you want to bump and click the ellipsis (…) menu.
- Select Bump.
The discussion is immediately bumped to the top of the discussions list. You can repeat this action as often as needed.