Do you want your users to be able to create and include custom signatures in their discussion posts and comments? If so, you'll want to enable the Signatures addon.
The Signatures addon is available at every plan level. To enable it:
- Access the Dashboard.
- Navigate to Settings > Addons > Addons.
- Click the Signatures toggle to turn it ON.
After enabling the addon, there are a few global signature settings you should review. To do so, click the Signature addon's settings icon.
In the resulting dialog, you can edit the following settings:
- Max number of Images: Define whether images can be used in custom signatures, and if so, how many. Options include Unlimited, None, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
- Max height of images in pixels: Define the maximum height, in pixels, a signature image can be. Enter a number only (e.g., correct: 100; incorrect: 100px).
- Max signature length: Leave this field blank for unlimited characters or enter a number to define a maximum character limit.
- Hide signatures for guests: Check this box to prevent guest users from using signatures.
- Hide signatures on embedded comments: Check this box to hide signatures on embedded content.
- Hide signatures on mobile: Check this box to hide signatures when viewing your community on mobile devices.
Signatures and Ranks
The settings discussed above are global, meaning they are the default settings that apply to all users. If you're using our Ranks addon, you can control a few of these settings on a per-Rank basis, if you'd like more granular control.
When creating or editing a Rank, you can use the settings shown in the image below to control whether users in that Rank can use signatures, and to what degree.
Create a signature
To create or edit your signature:
1. Click the MeBox, followed by your profile picture.
2. On the resulting page, select Edit Profile from the dropdown.
3. Click Signature Settings in the right-hand list of options.
4. Type your signature in the provided text box. You can include emojis and images via the Emoji Picker and Insert Media icons at the bottom (this depends on Signature and Rank settings).
5. Click Save to apply your signature.
📝 NOTE: Signatures are retroactive, meaning if you've posted 20 discussions, all 20 will be retroactively appended with your signature.
Signature options for users
Users can also edit a few signature-related settings from their profile > Signature Settings page.
- In the Forum Signature Settings area at the bottom, users can decide whether they want to simply hide all signatures and/or keep signatures but strip out any images.
- At the top, users are informed whether they're allowed to use images in their own signatures; this is controlled by your Vanilla community's Signature and Rank settings.