Higher Logic Vanilla uses modern technology across our software application, hosting environment, monitoring tools, and security tools.
The primary technologies we use are:
- PHP - the main programming language
- NGINX - the web server software
- Percona (a version of mySQL) - the database
- Openstack - the platform that we use to manage virtual servers
- Cloudflare - a service that provides caching, DNS and DDoS protection
Vanilla sites are hosted on virtual-server clusters.
- Smaller customers are on shared clusters (i.e., many sites per cluster).
- Larger customers are on dedicated clusters (i.e., one site per cluster).
A dedicated cluster provides a better guarantee of performance, as well as additional security and integration features. Enterprise customers have dedicated databases and smaller customers can upgrade to a dedicated database on a shared cluster. In the case of shared databases, customer data is logically partitioned (i.e., customers' data is never mixed together in a single database table).