Vanilla uses modern technology across our software application, hosting environment, monitoring tools and security tools.
The main technolgies we use are:
- PHP - the main programming language
- NGINX - the web server software
- Percona (a version of mySQL) - the database
- Openstack - the platform that we use to manage virtual servers
- Cloudflare - a service that provides caching, DNS and DDoS protection
Vanilla sites are hosted on virtual server clusters. Smaller customers are on shared clusters, i.e. many sites per cluster. Larger customers are on dedicated clusters, i.e. one site per cluster. A dedicated cluster provides a better guarantee of performance and additional security and integration features. Enterprise customers have dedicated databases and smaller customers can upgrade to a dedicated database on a shared cluster. In the case of shared databases, customer data is logically partitioned, i.e. customers' data is never mixed together in a single database table.