The Online Users Widget allows you to display a module on any or all pages of your community showing a list of users who are currently online in the community.
This widget is available as an addon and can be further customized as a widget:
- Addon (accessible via the addon page of your dashboard): This alone does not allow for a configurable placement. The list will always appear in the side panel in every page unless you select the option to place it manually within your theme. At that point, it will follow the rules set by the Online pocket-widget.
- Available after turning on the Online addon: Create an Online Users type widget which you set up in a pocket, which lets you place it wherever you want.
Setting up Online Users:
There are two ways you can use Online Users:
- Online addon (on your addons page)
- Online Users Widget as a pocket option (only available after turning on the Online addon).
Online addon (on your addons page):
To set up, navigate to your dashboard > settings > addons page and scroll down to the Online addon. Once you toggle it on, you will see the settings button appear next to the toggle.
Within the settings you can set the following;
- Where you would like the Online list to appear
- Should active users for the entire site or just that category
- How the users will display; User Icons (avatar) or User Links (name as hyperlink)
- Show the list to Guests
- How long the user while remain "online" after visiting a page
Online Users Widget as a pocket option:
If you would like to place the widget somewhere else in the theme, or would like to control what pages it appears on more granularly, you can add it as a Widget in a Pocket after you turn on the Online addon.
You can do this by navigating to the dashboard, then settings, then pockets, and clicking “add pocket” and select the “Online Users” type
If you are planning on turning this on as a widget, you might consider disabling the location in the addon settings to avoid seeing this widget twice (once in the custom location and once in the default panel location)
You can disable the default Who’s Online module by going to the dashboard, then settings, then addons, and editing the “Who’s Online” addon:
The Online Addon (rather than the pocket widget*) will display in two ways on different pages:
Category Page Display:
*The Online Users pocket widget can be placed wherever you like using the pocket Placement & Conditions, see more on working with pockets.
User's will have the ability to edit their profile to choose whether they would like to be shown in this module. You may want to include instructions for your users on how to set this up for themselves:
- To opt out of the Online display, navigate to your profile and select the edit profile option:
- Select “Who’s Online” from the options in the sidebar:
- Select “Hide my online status from other members” and save:
Theming Online Addon:
This widget’s theming is controlled by the Global Styles in the Theme Editor.
There are no additional variables for this element at this time.