Member Journey - lots of member types

Options

Hello Vanilla Friends!

First time posting, long time in the community world.

Currently building with @pbradley (hoping this is the right Paul, lol) at Kaplan and something interesting around this community is that is serves many different types of members.

As I am doing a site audit, it's become apparent we will need to do specific journeys for each of these member types, including customization (which is already happening) so I wanted to see if there is anyone out there with either many member types OR multiple products OR multiple services where you have customized Vanilla through a journey that is just for those specific segments. How did you do it?

Tagged:

Comments

• Kirstie Macfarlane
    Options

Hey @llamasayswhat5 - thanks for your question!

I'm sure our community members will have some great ideas here, but I wanted to share some of the things we do on the success community.

We do not have as many roles (member types) as many others, but we do have an "Apprentice" role for new community managers who have stepped in to take over an existing community but did not go through the original Vanilla training.

For example on our homepage, we have a categories widget just under the banner. We actually have multiple versions of this same widget that display differently for each role:

We pick and choose which categories to show for each role:

For the apprentices we also reach out directly via private message to welcome them, and direct them to this discussion which has tips for them to get started and directs them to further resources that can help them.

I hope this helps!

• llamasayswhat5
    llamasayswhat5 Vanilla Sprout
    Options

How long is this journey set for, @Kirstie Macfarlane?

The added bonus is that we could potentially have people move from student > college (pre law) > law school > bar > professional (alum) so I am looking at a years long journey in an idea state. Of course, we chunk it out but I'm moving beyond the 30, 60, 90 journeys as we build this out because Kaplan is with you for the long haul if we can figure it out. I'm dubbing it nurture versus onboarding because that's what it will be.

Appreciate you chiming in :)

• Kirstie Macfarlane
    Options

Hey @llamasayswhat5 for our Apprentices we're working on more of a 60 day journey. We do a couple of reach outs in that period.