Social Groups Category - to see Discussion List & Bookmark posts

Options
Genevieve P
Genevieve P Vanilla Sundae
edited June 2023 in Talk Community #1

Heya,

So in the Social Groups documentation it says to take away the VIEW permissions for all roles for the Social Group Category.

I only just realized that our forum hadn't done that… which meant that this Category showed up on our Category page (yay!) but that when someone clicked on it they saw a full list of all discussions happening in private Groups! 😦 If a member clicked on a post it would give them an error, saying they didn't have permissions… but they could see quite a lot from the Title of the post and the little description.

For example, this is a View from a regular member:

ALL of these are Private posts in Private groups.

We have since quickly removed View access for all roles, as per the documentation.

However there are 3 pieces of functionality that are now missing:

• For the members that ARE in the Groups, there is no Discussions list across all groups to see all discussions they have access to. They need to click into individual groups to see the discussions there - is that expected??
  • The link to "Groups" no longer appears on the Category page, since we took away View permissions. Is the Quick Links the only way to get there, now? Could we maybe keep Groups as a Category that's visible but use a redirect to bring it to /groups instead of /categories/social groups?
  • Additionally, if one of those group members had bookmarked a post, that post gives an error when they access it from their "My Bookmarks" page. Are we unable to bookmark private group posts?

Thanks for the clarification!
CC - @Arsineh / @maxwellgriffith / @Alison_Smartsheet / @resanchez

Tagged:

Answers

• Shauna
    Shauna HLV Staff
    Options

Hey @Genevieve P quick note that we're discussing this internally and I hope to have a concrete update for this soon :)

• Genevieve P
    Options

It looks like we also can no longer see Analytics on these discussions without the Social Group Category set as "View" for Admins.

@Shauna - any risk turning on View simply for Admins? The Documentation says not to do this but we like the extra visibility 👀

• Shauna
    Shauna HLV Staff
    Options

@Genevieve P no risk in giving it to admins — I think thats fine for now :)

• Genevieve P
    Options

Thanks! 🙂 We can all see all Groups/Discussions anyway, so I figured that would be fine. Appreciate the quick follow-up

• Kirstie Macfarlane
    Options

Hey @Genevieve P! I can answer a couple of these for you while we're waiting on confirmation for the third.

They need to click into individual groups to see the discussions there - is that expected??

Yes this is the expected behavior, you need to navigate to each group individually to see the discussions in each, there's no global "Group discussions" page that holds them all (although this is an interesting idea).

Is the Quick Links the only way to get there, now?

Generally the Groups page will be accessible via the Quick Links and the Title Bar, but you could also add a CTA widget on any layout editor pages, or use the Category as Link feature to add an access method on that page as well.

• Genevieve P
    Options

Thanks @Kirstie Macfarlane!

We've kept the discussion list view for Admins to easily access new posts across all groups.

Bookmarking behaviour is one I still don't quite understand now that View is gone for members.

• Shauna
    Shauna HLV Staff
    Options

@Genevieve P quick note that I filed a ticket for the bookmark behaviour and will report back when my support/product team comes back on that one!