Options for surveys in Vanilla

Options

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has used Vanilla to create surveys? Here's my use case and what I'm trying to accomplish:

I work for a SAAS company and we are using the Groups functionality to host a private beta community for an upcoming feature. When the beta ends, we want to send a survey out to the participants but we also want to minimize the amount of channels we're using to communicate with our users. Since all communication is going through our community, we're hoping to keep the survey to our community as well.

I know I could link to a Survey Monkey for instance, but has anyone done anything different with regards to sending surveys to their community members?

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Adrian
    Adrian HLV Staff Alumni
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

You can embed a Survey Monkey in a pocket or you can consider something like HotJar which is free. You can have a pop up survey. Hope that helps!

Answers

• Adrian
    Adrian HLV Staff Alumni
    #3 Answer ✓
    Options

You can embed a Survey Monkey in a pocket or you can consider something like HotJar which is free. You can have a pop up survey. Hope that helps!

• Alex Dunne
    Alex Dunne Vanilla Flower
    Options

Thanks Adrian! That's super helpful

• Adrian
    Adrian HLV Staff Alumni
    Options

Glad I could help :)

• Kara
    Kara Vanilla Ice Cream
    Options

Hi @Alex Dunne! We have attempted to use the Groups feature for our beta testers is various user groups, but have found them completely unsuccessful due to the lack of notifications for Groups currently offered. Our IT team has deemed SurveyMonkey insecure, so we rely on internally created forms for surveys and we'll link to those from the community for certain private groups.

We do use polls in our general discussion categories to occasionally gather casual feedback.

Kara

• BrendanP
    Options

To this point - it may be easier to use a private category and have users follow that category if they're part of the beta group.

• Alex Dunne
    Alex Dunne Vanilla Flower
    Options

Hi @BrendanP and @Kara ,

Thank you for your suggestions! I didn't realize there weren't any options for notifications in Groups... bit of an issue there. Can I ask how you have managed with private categories? From what I can see I'd have to create a special role and assign that to beta users then make sure only people with that role can see the category... would I be right in thinking that?

Thanks

Alex

• Adrian
    Adrian HLV Staff Alumni
    Options

@Alex Dunne Correct, you can create a private category with a special role, where only they can view. Make sure you select "Custom Permissions" when you create the category.