Why do people join communities? 🧑💻
Hey there Community Managers!
Let's chat about why joining communities is so important, especially as more and more of us move towards working remotely or are still hesitant to get back to our normal, pre-pandemic social lives. The need for connection is deeply ingrained in all of us. We're wired to be part of communities, whether they're digital or in-person.
Today, I want to give you the lowdown on why people dive into these communities, from my unique perspective. I've got the behind-the-scenes scoop on online communities as a program manager at Vanilla, plus I'm a community member myself. I've seen firsthand how being part of an online community can be super positive.
Now, let's talk about the "human reasons" why people join online communities – not just folks looking for quick answers. Those are important, but it's the people who keep coming back for more that really build thriving communities. Humans are the real glue here.
So, here are three big reasons why people jump into online communities:
1. To Be Themselves: Some folks join online communities because it's a safe space. Online, they can be their true selves without judgment. Imagine a gaming community where everyone's there because they share a passion for the game – it's like being among friends who get it. I've been there, and it's amazing to talk strategies and geek out with like-minded people.
Or take a support community for those dealing with tough challenges like cancer. It's a place where people can open up about their fears and worries without burdening those around them. They find a safe haven to share their thoughts and connect with others who understand.
2. To Be Someone Else: On the flip side, some people join online communities to escape from their offline lives and reinvent themselves. It's like starting fresh in a new town where no one knows your past. For those who might be shy or dealing with social anxiety, it's liberating to interact online without the pressure of revealing their identity.
In these spaces, you can be yourself without worrying about being judged for anything beyond the words you type.
3. To Feel Connected At All Times: Nobody likes feeling alone, especially given the current global situation. Online communities offer a lifeline for people dealing with loneliness. The connections you make are available 24/7 with just a click. It's reassuring to know your online buddies are always there when you need them.
For example, offline support groups might only meet once a week, but online communities are always open. They provide a sense of accessibility and reliability.
If you're looking to beat the isolation blues, check out some online communities that can help you feel connected.
In a nutshell, these are the top three human reasons folks flock to online communities. The blend of anonymity and round-the-clock access makes them pretty attractive. People join these communities to find like-minded friends, share their true selves, or just to feel like they belong.
In these times, the value of community can't be overstated 🌎
- All Categories
- 21 Getting Started
- HL Vanilla Connect
- Onboarding Videos
- Search the Community
- 247 Community Hub
- 208 Talk Community
- 35 Community Announcements & News
- What do you want to to do?
- Create an Account
- I'm new here
- Talk Higher Logic Vanilla
- Talk Community
- Check out the latest release
- Submit a product idea
- Get help
- View Events