Best Practices for Managing the Discussion Feed

borme
borme Vanilla Sprout
edited August 20 in Talk Community #1

Hi! We have a 'Discussion' tab at the top of our community that shows all recent comments and posts. I have announced a lot of weekly announcements and these seem to dominate the top of the discussion feed. I "sunk" on old posts - does that work how I think it does? Does the "Sink" option unannounce posts?

Just want to make sure our community members find the newest posts/comments/questions as easily as possible!

Answers

• Rav Singh
    Rav Singh Vanilla Sundae

Hey @borme

I'd suggest limiting the number of announcements that you set to announce in the category and recent discussions option. Instead, perhaps look to set some of these to announce in their respective category only. This way your discussions page isn't crowded with a heap of announcements before member-created posts. (Granted, this is dependant on the setup of your community and your use of categories).

In regard to sinking posts, this will prevent a post from rising back to the top of your discussion list when a new comment is posted to it. It won't un-announce a post.
    To remove a post as an announcement click on the options button on the specific post ➡️ Announce ➡️ Don't Announce

Just separately, while this doesn't help in regard to the discussions page, I've setup a dedicated announcements widget on each page so they're more prominent. Might be useful to consider if it works for your community.

• @borme thought I'd chime in here as well. @Rav Singh said it perfectly above but you can read up on the sink option here as well, Sink a Discussion, which describes it in further detail. Essentially it stops a post from gaining points which would elevate it.

I think it is also important to note that you can "unsink" posts which you might want to do to some of your posts.

Hope this helps