Uploading Video Directly to Vanilla Communities

stefanieb
stefanieb Vanilla Flower

Is there a setting to allow users to upload videos directly to discussions or articles?

When attempting to upload a video directly to our Vanilla Community I received an error message indicating that the file (Mp4) did not meet the expected file upload extension requirements ex. jpeg- am I missing a setting to enable this?

Grateful for the assist

Best Answer

• Kirstie Macfarlane
    Kirstie Macfarlane HLV Staff
    #2 Answer ✓

Hi @stefanieb - thanks for your question!

MP4 is a supported file type, but I checked the Allowed File Extensions for your site and it was not included which would be why this didn't work. I have added it to your allowed file types now so it should work going forward!

Answers

• Kirstie Macfarlane
    Kirstie Macfarlane HLV Staff
    #3 Answer ✓

Hi @stefanieb - thanks for your question!

MP4 is a supported file type, but I checked the Allowed File Extensions for your site and it was not included which would be why this didn't work. I have added it to your allowed file types now so it should work going forward!

• scottystrehlow
    scottystrehlow Vanilla Bean

Hi @Kirstie Macfarlane - I'm having the same problem. Are you able to help me enable an MP4 file to upload directly? Thanks so much in advance.

https://community.duda.co/

• Hey @scottystrehlow - I've made the updates to your site! Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

• Mackenzie
    Mackenzie Vanilla Seedling
    edited January 30 #6

Hi @Kirstie Macfarlane are you able to share instructions for how we can add videos as Allowed File Extensions? Thanks!

For context - we are trying to host a giveaway in our community with the entry requirement being a video upload. It looks like it works in some capacity on desktop (I can download a video and open it in my computer's player), but it doesn't work to view the videos on mobile. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

• Hi @Mackenzie - thanks for your question.

This sounds like a bug to me, I would recommend that you open a ticket with our Support team (jump over to our Get Help page to do this).

You might also be interested in encouraging your users to embed their videos (using Youtube or Vimeo) to make for easier viewing.

• Branwyn T
    Branwyn T HLV Staff

@Mackenzie Sadly, this is just a fact of life about mobile devices - they don't by default tend to have video players installed.

Personally, I think they best option here would be to have your members upload their videos to YouTube and share them - that way they can be played in-browser on any device!