How do the Advanced Search additional parameters work?

Hi there,

In reviewing this documentation on 'Advanced Search', I am trying to best understand how to demonstrate to our community members the use of the following three search parameters:

• “keyword phrase”: A phrase wrapped in quotes must occur in that order.
  • +keyword: The keyword must occur in the search result.
  • -keyword: The keyword must not occur in the result.

The first two items I believe I have a handle on, although any examples that can be shared would also be helpful (just to see additional use cases of how others use them). But specifically, the third bulleted item, -keyword: The keyword must not occur in the result... I am not sure this is working successfully in our community. I typed in a search "EBS -receivables", and my search results still produced content with the word 'receivables' in it. Am I doing something wrong? Any examples on how to use this would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Alexis

Best Answer

• Val
    Val HLV Staff
    #2 Answer ✓

@Alexis We are working on some updated documentation for our new search service. This will be available in the new year. In the meantime, to clarify this workflow, you'll need to wrap your keywords in quotation marks here, so:

• +"keyword": The keyword must occur in the search result.
    • -"keyword": The keyword must not occur in the result.

So for your query specifically, this should be "EBS"-"receivables"

Answers

• Val
    Val HLV Staff
    #3 Answer ✓

@Alexis We are working on some updated documentation for our new search service. This will be available in the new year. In the meantime, to clarify this workflow, you'll need to wrap your keywords in quotation marks here, so:

• +"keyword": The keyword must occur in the search result.
    • -"keyword": The keyword must not occur in the result.

So for your query specifically, this should be "EBS"-"receivables"

• Alexis
    Alexis Vanilla Sprout

Hi Val,

Thank you for the prompt response! This is helpful.

So when I enter "EBS"-"receivables" in my search, is this supposed to return any content or places with the term 'EBS' and not 'receivables' in it? I am just trying to best understand the search results that were returned when entering this. The first two items that were returned in my search had neither EBS or receivables in them, and then the following few items seem to have been posted in a subcategory with 'EBS' in the name (but not in the content).

Thank you!

Alexis

• Adrian
    Adrian HLV Staff Alumni

Hey @Alexis -

Good question with regards across sub-communities. Just as an FYI it's important to use the @ symbol with names so the person you want to answer is aware.

@Val are you able to comment on this? Or is this something we need to dig into with support?

• Val
    Val HLV Staff

@Alexis That is correct it should return all content and places that contain "EBS" in the title or body, but do not contain "receivables"

I'm going to contact you via email. I'd like to get more details about your query an so I can dig in a bit more and see what we can do to refine this.