Ticket Deflection for Support community based

Options
Firmy
Firmy Vanilla Seedling

Hello and Good day,

I would like to request your insights and opinions regarding the measurement of ticket deflection for support community based. Some of you may already use the average time to answer as a metric to gauge the community's success, however, I am interested in understanding how you calculate ticket deflection based on this data.

I am aware that it would be reasonable to measure ticket deflection using third-party tools such as Google Analytics or pop-up surveys. However, my goal is to explore the most effective way to measure this using Vanilla Analytics exclusively, as it is the analytics tool we currently have at our disposal, and I aim to maximize its utility.

Your valuable input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, and I wish you all a productive day.

Answers

• Shauna
    Shauna HLV Staff
    edited October 2023 #2
    Options

Hey @Firmy excited to see what other community members come up with, but wanted to make sure you saw this post from last week:

I'm also curious if there are additional analytics metrics you'd like to see in the Vanilla product to help you better measure this — based on the info from Brian Oblinger in that post above, calculating ticket deflection requires surveying users and having anecdotal evidence (such as % of users that are coming to community for a problem, if they found that answer, and if they found their answer without a ticket or still needed to file one.) Within that line of thinking, I wonder if a pop up survey where results were surfaced in analytics would be useful, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree here 🐶🌲😃

• LiselotteP
    LiselotteP Vanilla Ice Cream
    Options

@AnnaB , I think you will like this table!

• Firmy
    Firmy Vanilla Seedling
    Options

Hello @Shauna

Thank you for your comment.

I would agree that is the formula for you to calculate ticket deflection for support community, however, it would require survey data.

On the other hand, I am looking a way for us to measure ticket deflection by using the Vanilla Analytics only. Like to find resolution rate, we can use Answers accepted / No of Discussion. For seeking support, perhaps we can get from No of Question Asked / No of Discussion. And to calculate deflection rate, we can multiply resolution rate with seeking support.

I am just wondering if anyone might have a better idea how we can utilize Vanilla Analytics to the fullest and comparing the results from Vanilla and other tools.

Thanks @GingerAnderson That table is very helpful.

• Shauna
    Shauna HLV Staff
    Options

Hey @Firmy

Yes, the survey data definitely puts a bit of a wrench in things for many communities. 🤔 I wonder how many communities use this sort of data in calculating their ROI… Would you see value in having either a pop up feature in Vanilla that you could integrate with a 3rd party survey app, or even having something that could survey users in Vanilla and show up in analytics? Nothing planned here at the moment, but curious to get your take :)

I would argue that answers accepted/no of discussions & questions asked are interesting metrics, however they only account for the first person asking the question, but not for the subsequent users that get their question answered with an old post and never actually have to post it since it's already in community. (I always find it interesting to look at a popular question/discussions drill down analytics, typically a ton of referrals from google)… Just my two cents 💰🤓

Super curious what metrics the rest of the community uses to measure ticket deflection — either in the analytics today, a chart you're having a hard time creating or a metric/chart you'd like to see in the future!

• LiselotteP
    Options

We used to have a Qualtrics survey on the homepage that popped out to ask users whether the Community provided the answer for their question, and if they would have otherwise contacted support (that's the short version) - to calculate direct deflection.

The survey is broken at the moment (other topic) BUT, if we could integrate Qualtrics surveys, or other types of pop out survey in Community - this would be an ABSOLUTE GAME CHANGER!

We're also looking into the same sort of survey questions on KB articles and question discussion threads.

• LiselotteP
    Options

Also curious to know if there is a way of calculating ticket deflection using only Vanilla analytics, and no external surveys…