Seeking Creative Reactions!

Kara
Kara Vanilla Ice Cream

Hello! Wondering what reactions you all employ in your communities. We use the Vanilla OOTB (out of the box) reactions, but only the positive ones: like, awesome, LOL, vote up, etc.

I often want to use the WTF reaction, but it's not appropriate in our community. ☺️

Do you have any custom reactions? What are they and are they popular? And I guess I should ask, are custom reactions even an option? I guess I'm thinking more emoji-type reactions like fingers crossed, tired/melting, fist bump or muscle arm...to send an message like "Hang in there!" or "I feel your pain!".

Thanks! (Feel free to react to this post.) 👍️

Comments

• Rav Singh
    Rav Singh Vanilla Sundae

I don't believe you can create fully custom reactions but rather edit the existing reactions to show your own reaction icons/images on user profiles only. Not sure if there's any way to change the actual reaction options within a discussion itself to show those custom reaction options.

• BrendanP
    BrendanP HLV Staff
    edited July 2022 #3

You can't create a full-blown custom reaction but you can modify the list that's there.

You can edit the name of the reaction in the dashboard settings. Unfortunately right now if you want to update the sprite images it would require CSS. My understanding is we want to make this easier with an upload option as part of the process of rebuilding these discussion pages which is currently underway.

I've seen customers use CSS to customize their sprites such as the company Teksavvy:

Other ones I've seen in terms of reaction name changes are Qualtrics renaming the Insightful reaction to 'Genius' or Mural renaming the like reaction to 'cool' and the awesome reaction to 'love' which I think fit both brand's communities respectively.

• Sheena
    Sheena HLV Staff Alumni

Hi @Kara! We do have plans to allow custom reaction icons to be uploaded. This would also extend to be able to upload custom badge icons for new badges as well as default badges and other assets.

We currently have an Idea open for this request exactly. I encourage you and @Rav Singh to upvote that idea.