Release 2020.023 will be released to:
- Staging sites on Tuesday, November 17th
- Production sites on Monday, November 23rd
- Enterprise sites on Monday, November 30th
Warning: Update to Featured Categories
This release includes an update to our Featured Categories Widget. This is no longer on by default in Foundation themes. Do not worry, your widget settings & featured categories have been saved.
We wanted to give you more control over where Widgets are rendered, and so, this release introduces Widget Management through Pockets, and allows you to configure and place widgets in your theme with Pockets.
To reenable your Featured Categories Widget:
- Go to the Pockets section of your Dashboard Settings
- Add a new Pocket
- In the "Content" tab, give your Pocket a Name
- Select "Featured Categories" as your Pocket Type
- You will have some additional options here to configure a title, subtitle or description for your widget, these are optional.
- Once you've configured your Pocket content, go to the "Placement & Conditions" tab
- Select the page on which you'd like to display your widget.
- You'll have options to select the location on the page - to replicate what was previously our default location select "Content" and "Before" in your location settings.
- Save your settings
- Enable your new Pocket/Widget
Theming: Navigation Menu Manager
Release 2020.023 includes an update to our Foundation theme and Theme Editor. With this release you can now fully customize your theme's navigation links.
In the Title Bar section of your Theme Editor you will find a "Navigation" section. Here you have the option to edit your navigation.
Our new modal allows you to:
- rename, delete or edit our default navigation links
- add your own custom links to internal or external pages
- create nested navigation menus
This will result in a completely custom navigation menu that looks beautiful on desktop, and is automatically updated to a Hamburger Menu for mobile
New Pockets UI
Our Pockets UI has been updated to offer a cleaner user experience and updated HTML editor.
Pocket Types have been introduced to allow you to use the power of Pockets to add and configure Vanilla Widgets to your community pages. Read more on this here.
The Pockets you know and love can still be built and configured by choosing the "Custom HTML" type.
Pocket Locations: Home & Site Home
This release introduces 2 new pages to our supported pocket locations to allow you to place Pockets & Widgets on your homepages.
- Site Home: This will allow those using a subcommunity set up to add pockets & widgets to the site's main page
- Home: This will add a pocket or widget to your configured homepage. If you are using subcommunities, you can use this to add pockets or widgets to each subcommunity's homepage, or it can be paired with the "Subcommunities" setting to target specific subcommunity homepage. Your homepage can be configured on the Layout page of your Dashboard settings.
Widgets & Widget Management
Over the next several months we will be building out a catalogue of widgets for custom themes. Some of the widgets you may already be familiar with were previously known as "Modules." These are things like
- Discussions lists
- Featured Categories
- Tag clouds
- Upcoming Events
- Who's online
These are great for customizing your layouts and pulling dynamic content into a page. These could always be added to your community pages with the help of some add-ons, or with a bit of coding.
With this release we have brought these updates to our Pockets add-on to allow you to more easily add and configure our widgets to work within your custom themes.
How to add and manage Widgets with Pockets
- Enable the Pockets add-on
- On the Pockets page in the Dashboard Settings, add a new Pocket
- In the Content tab, select the widget you'd like to add using the "Type" setting
- Depending on the type selected, configuration options will appear to help you customize your widget settings.
- Next, Go the the "Placement and Conditions" tab to configure where, when and for whom the widget will load
This release comes with a first set of configurable widgets, including:
Showcase your community events.
Promote key community categories.
Feature your top ranked community contributors
We've also added a second leaderboard type to allow you to display this as a grid:
Help Centre Home
Integrate a KB Help Centre into a page.
See which users are currently active
Point users to your subcommunity homepages.
Add a cloud of your most frequently used tags.
Bug Fixes and Improvements
- Fix warnings not clearing by processing warnings on admin spoof login - support#2942
- Fix profileexports not returning all fields - support#3168
- Fix analytics API bug requiring a group field, add option for "average" as an analytics type - support#3053
- Fix users wildcard search when using the api - support#3137
- Fix synchronize sub-communities when node does not have any sub-communities - support#3130
- Fix sorting subcommunity categories for dropdown menu - support#3126
- Fix broadcasting webhooks for Discussions and Comments that get moved out of the spam queue - support#2950
- Fix spam reaction not deleting post - support#2979
- Fix marking a record as not spam causing record deletion - support#3103
- Fix unanswered questions appearing in unanswered filter - support#3086
- Fix default error message for tags failing validation - support#3099
- Fix exposing QuoteEmbed display options to the config - support#2496
- Fix Vanilla Forums account menus displaying for site admins - support#1351
- Fixed inability to remove products from sub community - support#2397
- Fixed image embeds - support#2628
- Fixed errors when searching special characters - support#2994
- Fixed Conversation icons & links appearing when Conversations is disabled - support#3077
- Fixed federated search filters not being respected - support#2988
- Fixed search label persistency - vanilla-cloud#127
- Removed “(Image)” placedholder text in discussion excerpts - support#3017
- Fixed errors when editing an event and removing the body/details - support#3026
- Fixed redirect to group [age when canceling a poll/question post in Social Groups. - support#2980
- Improved search errors and logging - support#2879
- Fixed articles not being listed on sitemap - support#2908
- Fixed Search Queries returning fatal error - support#2937
- Fixed Language chooser not available in footer for Foundation themes- knowledge#1787
- Fix categories api should return children by default - support#3056